Buwan ng Wika (National Language Month) is an annual celebration of Filipino as the national and widely spoken language in the Philippines. Initiated by Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino (KWF), it is a month-long observance from August 1-30 in both public and private schools by virtue of Presidential Proclamation Number 1041, s. 1997.
Within the month of August, various Filipino-related activities such as simultaneous pronunciation, poetry, essay writing competitions, slogan creations, and other folk performances are held. Hence, Buwan ng Wika is more than just a celebration and promotion of Filipino. It also highlights the appreciation of the country’s rich cultural diversity as well as the collaboration among government agencies and private sectors for language identity and civic awareness.
In 2017, Buwan ng Wika was celebrated with the theme, Filipino: Wikang Mapagbago. While Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino has yet to release the Buwan ng Wika 2018 theme (tema), it’s good that schools and concerned organizations start planning activities and programs as soon as the school year opens.
In June 2018, Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino, through its official website already released the Buwan ng Wika 2018 theme:
“Filipino: Wika ng Saliksik”
Accordingly,“Pinagtibay ng Kalupunan ng mga Komisyoner ng KWF ang Kapasiyahan Blg. 18-24 na nagpapahayag na ang tema ng Buwan ng Wika para sa taong 2018 ay “Filipino: Wika ng Saliksik.”
Ang tema ay kumikilala sa wikang Filipino bilang midyum sa paglikha at pagpapalaganap ng pambansang karunungan at kaunlaran. Sa pamamagitan ng tema, layon ng KWF na palaganapin ang wikang Filipino sa iba’t ibang larang ng karunungan, lalo na sa agham at matematika” — Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino.
Usually, the celebration of Buwan ng Wika is based on the following objectives:
- To fully implement the Presidential Proclamation Number 1041, s. 1997;
- To encourage various government agencies and private sectors to participate in different programs that aim to promote Filipino language and civic awareness; and,
- To inspire many Filipinos towards the appreciation of the national language through active participation in various activities related to Buwan ng Wika.
Other Buwan ng Wika 2018 Creative Ideas
- Filipino-related Competitions (Paggawa ng Slogan, Pagsulat ng Tula, etc.)
- Stage Performances (Folk Dances, Balagtasan, Plays, etc.)
- Parade Ethnic Costumes
- Spoken Word Poetry (in Filipino)
- Readers’ Theater (in Filipino)
- National Filipino Costumes’ Day