Declamation Contest (English Month Competition). Declamation Contest is a public speaking event that showcases student declaimers’ communication prowess in interpreting a literary piece, thereby providing the audience with a direct experience of the craft.
- Participants shall be given prerogative to choose any declamation piece deliverable in five (5) minutes or less.
- Participants shall memorize their pieces and present on the day of the event.
- Participants shall be in an appropriate costume and shall use props whenever necessary.
- Upon submission of the results to the committee, judges’ decision shall be considered final and irrevocable.
- Only three (3) student declaimers shall be awarded as Champion, 1st Runner-Up, and 2nd Runner-Up.
- Overall Interpretation (40%). The student declaimer demonstrates mastery of the piece through expressive interpretation and provides the audience with a direct experience of the masterfully crafted literature.
- Vocal Aspects (40%). The student declaimer employs vocal effects such as varying tone, pitch, volume, and others to reinforce powerful interpretation of the piece.
- Costume and Props (10%). The student declaimer wears a costume and uses props required in the development of the presented discourse.
- Audience Impact (10%). The student declaimer succeeds in engaging the audience in the experience through communicative approach.
Other English Month Competitions
Communication-in-Photo Contest (Mechanics). Communication-in-Photo Contest is a photography competition that aims to integrate student photographer’s understanding of the communication process in the digital age into the art of photography.
E-Poetry: Poetry Beyond Text (Mechanics). E-Poetry: Poetry Beyond Text is a digital poetry composition and presentation contest that captures the literary prowess of student poets in the light of digital media.
Essay Writing Contest (Mechanics). Essay Writing Contest is a writing competition where student essayists compose argumentative essays that have substance and that adhere to the conventions of the written discourse.
Extemporaneous Speech (Mechanics). Extemporaneous Speech is a public speaking competition that requires student speakers to deliver a limited-preparation speech with special focus on substance, organization of ideas and information, and confident delivery.
Flash Fiction Writing Contest (Mechanics). Flash Fiction Writing challenges student writers to frame a self-contained story in a few hundreds of words that can entertain, intrigue, and satisfy a reader in a tornado effect.
Speech Choir (Mechanics). Speech Choir or verse choir brings out the beauty of harmony and unison, hence providing speakers and listeners alike with an experience that is both exciting and intense in the interpretation of a literary piece.
Statement Shirt Competition (Mechanics). Statement Shirt Competition showcases student artists’ creativity and wit in designing a shirt that communicates their knowledge and insights into the functions, importance, and challenges of communication in English in the digital age.