Extemporaneous Speech (English Month Competition). Extemporaneous Speech is a public speaking competition that requires student speakers to deliver a limited-preparation speech with special focus on substance, organization of ideas and information, and confident delivery.
- Participants shall receive a long list of topics/questions three (3) days before the contest or on November 25 (Saturday), 20xx through the CASTI Senior High official Facebook page.
- Participants shall deliver a 3-minute speech after a 1.5-minute preparation. Color-coded flags (or through any other means) shall be raised during the event to signal out specific time frames.
- Time frames and limits shall be strictly observed during the competition. Hence, deductions of points (2 points per 10 seconds) shall be given to student speakers who exceed the delivery time.
- Upon submission of the results to the committee, judges’ decision shall be considered final and irrevocable.
- Only three (3) student speakers shall be awarded as Champion, 1st Runner-Up, and 2nd Runner-Up.
- Presentation (40%). The student speaker has a good volume of speech, proper pronunciation, enunciation, and nonverbal cues, and appears comfortable.
- Content (40%). The speech is logical, has a clear thesis, and presented in a cohesive manner.
- Audience Response (20%). The speech is delivered with effectiveness and persuasiveness evident in the response of the audience.
Other English Month Competitions
Communication-in-Photo Contest (Mechanics). Communication-in-Photo Contest is a photography competition that aims to integrate student photographer’s understanding of the communication process in the digital age into the art of photography.
Declamation Contest (Mechanics). Declamation Contest is a public speaking event that showcases student declaimers’ communication prowess in interpreting a literary piece, thereby providing the audience with a direct experience of the craft.
E-Poetry: Poetry Beyond Text (Mechanics). E-Poetry: Poetry Beyond Text is a digital poetry composition and presentation contest that captures the literary prowess of student poets in the light of digital media.
Essay Writing Contest (Mechanics). Essay Writing Contest is a writing competition where student essayists compose argumentative essays that have substance and that adhere to the conventions of the written discourse.
Flash Fiction Writing Contest (Mechanics). Flash Fiction Writing challenges student writers to frame a self-contained story in a few hundreds of words that can entertain, intrigue, and satisfy a reader in a tornado effect.
Speech Choir (Mechanics). Speech Choir or verse choir brings out the beauty of harmony and unison, hence providing speakers and listeners alike with an experience that is both exciting and intense in the interpretation of a literary piece.
Statement Shirt Competition (Mechanics). Statement Shirt Competition showcases student artists’ creativity and wit in designing a shirt that communicates their knowledge and insights into the functions, importance, and challenges of communication in English in the digital age.