The National Reading Month, as spearheaded by the Philippine Department of Education (DepEd) pursuant to Republic Act No. 10556, is an annual nationwide celebration every November that promotes the love for reading and its importance to the lifelong process of learning among Filipino learners.
In most schools, the National Reading Month is commonly celebrated with various student competitions that entail demonstrations of exemplary linguistic, communication, and reading skills, hence a double celebration of English Language and National Reading Month.
The Philippine Department of Education (DepEd) has already released the official theme for the 2018 National Reading Month celebration. According to the released DepEd Memorandum No. 175, Series of 2018, this year’s theme is:
“Pagbasa: Susi sa Magandang Kinabukasan”
Line up of activities and student competitions may already be planned. In a suggestion, the following competitions may also be feasible in addition to the DepEd’s suggested activities for the 2018 National Reading Month Celebration:
- E-Poetry: Poetry Beyond Text is a digital poetry composition and presentation (recorded rythmical reading) contest that captures the literary prowess of student poets in the light of digital media.
- Extemporaneous Speech is a public speaking competition that requires student speakers to deliver a limited-preparation speech with special focus on substance, organization of ideas and information, and confident delivery.
- Interpretive Reading is an oral and dramatic presentation of a narrative that affords student participant’s communication of its literary meaning in a highly creative and evocative expression.
- Declamation Contest is a public speaking event that showcases student declaimers’ communication prowess in interpreting a literary piece, thereby providing the audience with a direct experience of the craft.
- Speech Choir or verse choir brings out the beauty of harmony and unison, hence providing speakers and listeners alike with an experience that is both exciting and intense in the interpretation of a literary piece.
- English Language and Literature Quiz Bee is a mind sport that engages student participants in answering questions related to English language and literature in a limited period of time.
- Essay Writing Contest is a writing competition where student essayists compose argumentative essays that have substance and that adhere to the conventions of the written discourse.