Clarity and Focus
- Is the main idea of the text clearly conveyed?
- Does the text present a clear writer’s point of view towards the topic or subject?
- Does the text stay focused on the main idea?
- Is the writer’s purpose in writing evident?
- Are all ideas directing to the topic or subject?
- Is there a concrete pattern of development (classification, enumeration, analysis, etc.) used?
- Are sections (if there are) clearly presented?
- Are the ideas logically connected to each other using cohesive devices (and, therefore, also, however, etc.)?
- Can the reader follow the piece logically from beginning to end (use of signal words)?
- Is it complete? Does it feel finished?
Ideas and Theme
- Is the topic relevant to the target audience?
- Can the intended audience visualize the topic or subject being discussed?
- Does the text match with the background knowledge of the intended audience?
- Does the text include vivid details, interesting examples, and illustrations?
- Can the relationship among ideas and themes easily be grasped?
- Is there an identifiable voice in the text?
- Is it consistent all throughout the text?
- Is it unique?
- Does it grab the audience’s attention?
- Does it establish a strong relationship between the text and the audience?
- Does the text use a language appropriate to the target audience?
- Can the audience determine meanings of difficult or technical terms through context clues?
- Does the text contain precise and accurate word choices or vocabulary?
- Is the text free from redundancies, wordiness, highfalutin and sexist language?
- Are there consistencies in the use of pronouns and nouns by number (singular or plural)?
- Are all sentences complete?
- Is the text free from fragments, run-on, and overly complex sentences?
- Is the text free from contractions and exclamation points (unless part of a direct quotation)?
- Does the piece demonstrate standard usage (subject-verb agreement, consistent verb tense, correct pronouns, etc.)?
- Are punctuation marks, capitalization, spelling, and paragraphs used correctly in the piece?
Credibility and Reliability