Speech Choir (English Month Competition). Speech Choir or verse choir brings out the beauty of harmony and unison, hence providing speakers and listeners alike with an experience that is both exciting and intense in the interpretation of a literary piece.
- Speech choirs shall be comprised of twelve (12) to twenty-five (25) class members.
- “REVERSE CREATION” by Bernard Backman shall be the piece and be recited with vocal and other effects in five (5) to seven (7) minutes.
- Members of the choirs shall wear and use costumes, props, and others whenever appropriate to improve the choral interpretation of the piece.
- Dangerous stunts shall be prohibited. The board of judges reserves the right to discontinue presentations whenever posing danger or risks to the members of the team, the judges, and the audience.
- Upon submission of the results to the committee, judges’ decision shall be considered final and irrevocable.
- Only three (3) speech choirs shall be awarded as Champion, 1st Runner-Up, and 2nd Runner-Up.
- Overall Interpretation (40%). The speech choir invokes thoughts and feelings and initiates a shared experience with the audience through superior dynamics, unique techniques, and expressive interpretations of the lines.
- Mastery and Delivery (40%). The speech choir demonstrates mastery of the piece by maintaining vocal unison, stage poise, eye contact, and other verbal and nonverbal effects.
- Costume and Props (10%). The speech choir wears costumes and uses props indispensable in the interpretation of the piece and shared experience between the choir and the audience.
- Audience Impact (10%). The speech choir succeeds in engaging the audience in the shared experience, hence communicating the message of the literary piece.
Other English Month Competitions
Communication-in-Photo Contest (Mechanics). Communication-in-Photo Contest is a photography competition that aims to integrate student photographer’s understanding of the communication process in the digital age into the art of photography.
Declamation Contest (Mechanics). Declamation Contest is a public speaking event that showcases student declaimers’ communication prowess in interpreting a literary piece, thereby providing the audience with a direct experience of the craft.
E-Poetry: Poetry Beyond Text (Mechanics). E-Poetry: Poetry Beyond Text is a digital poetry composition and presentation contest that captures the literary prowess of student poets in the light of digital media.
Essay Writing Contest (Mechanics). Essay Writing Contest is a writing competition where student essayists compose argumentative essays that have substance and that adhere to the conventions of the written discourse.
Extemporaneous Speech (Mechanics). Extemporaneous Speech is a public speaking competition that requires student speakers to deliver a limited-preparation speech with special focus on substance, organization of ideas and information, and confident delivery.
Flash Fiction Writing Contest (Mechanics). Flash Fiction Writing challenges student writers to frame a self-contained story in a few hundreds of words that can entertain, intrigue, and satisfy a reader in a tornado effect.
Statement Shirt Competition (Mechanics). Statement Shirt Competition showcases student artists’ creativity and wit in designing a shirt that communicates their knowledge and insights into the functions, importance, and challenges of communication in English in the digital age.